|Collection||Elsworth Brown Collection|
The item is a booklet with the title, "Studies in Polk County History -- No. 1 -- 1965." The Polk County Historical Society published the book, which has 24 pages.
The front cover has a sketch map of Polk County.
Taped on the inside of the front cover, there is a receipt from F.M. Hill Books in Kingsport, Tennessee, for $3.00. The receipt is marked, "Paid in full."
Page 1 (the Title Page) features the names of the editors who helped compile the booklet, as well as the names of the officers of the Polk County Historical Society. There is a note written in blue ink in the upper right corner which reads, "Compliments of Sudie Clemmer." (She probably secured this copy of the booklet for Elsworth Brown."
Page 2 contains copies of portraits of James K. Polk and Thomas Hart Benton.
Page 3 consists of a list of Contents and a Dedication.
Page 4 features copies of portraits of five of Polk County's first officers (John F. Hannah, Abraham Lillard, James Parks, Zachariah Rose, and William Wiggins).
Pages 5 through 7 contain a brief description and history of Polk County.
Pages 8 and 10 through 15 consist of biographies of notable early Polk County citizens.
Page 9 features an undated photo of the Matlock Valley Log Schoolhouse.
Page 16 contains a reproduction of The Ducktown Eagle from Saturday, October 30, 1858. This probably was Polk County's first newspaper.
Page 17 consists of two photos. The top one, titled, "Copper Hauler's Wagon," shows six mules hitched to a wagon. The bottom one shows a Tennessee state historical marker with the title, "FIRST COPPER SMELTERS."
Page 18 features three photos of Polk County historical landmarks: Nancy Ward's marker, Old Fort Marr, and The Great Indian Warpath.
Page 19 contains a membership listing for the Polk County Historical Society. (Elsworth Brown is listed.)
Pages 20 through 23 consist of a Bibliography of source materials, books, periodicals, and newspapers used to compile this booklet. In addition, at the bottom of Page 23, there is the continuation of a biography which began in Page 15.
Page 24 features three photos: one showing early members of Friendship Baptist Church (Polk County's oldest church), one showing the old Polk County Courthouse (built in the late 1890s and destroyed by fire in 1935), and one showing the Hilderbrand House (Polk County's oldest house still standing).
Only the cover was scanned.
|Dates of Creation||1965|
|Extent of Description||9.00" x 6.25"|
|Title||Studies in Polk County History|