Archive Record

Object Name Image, Digital
Catalog Number 2015.050.028
Collection Picnooga Collection
Description Digitized unfinished matchbook is from the hotel Hotel Key in Chattanooga, It is green and white with an image of a room key. All of the wording is in white. It has phrases like "A home away from home" and "The key to a good night's rest," advertising the hotel.
Hotel Key was located on the Keystone Block. The original four story building, built in 1887, was razed when Cherry Street was widened in February 1930. Sarah Key Patten built a new seven story, 32,000 square foot, hotel in its place. The bottom was floor was occupied by M.B. Eaves & Brothers foodstore. The architects were Louis Bull and Norbert G. Monning. The hotel's name was changed in 1965 to the Town House. The squared apex of the building was replaced with a rounded, glass elevator shaft around that time.

Universal Match Corporation, the maker of this matchbook, adopted that company name after 1939. This matchbook is likely from the 1940s, as it was advertising the hotel as "Chattanooga's newest 100% air cooled" hotel still.
Date 1940s
Accession number 2015.050