|Object Name||Image, Digital|
Digitized catalog, "Saw Mill Machinery," was made by the Wheland Machine Works in 1907 (the name of the company was changed to the Wheland Company in 1912. Catalog "E" of machinery with detailed illustrations of every item.
George Washington Wheland established the Wheland Foundry in Athens, Tennessee, in 1866. Attracted by Chattanooga's booming post-war economy, he purchased two acres near the mouth of Chattanooga Creek on Broad Street and constructed a foundry there in 1873. In addition to a foundry, the Chattanooga facility contained a machine shop, a blacksmith shop, and a pattern shop. At first, the facility repaired farm equipment and made grist and cane mills and water wheels, but its operations transformed dramatically over time. In 1888, the facility shifted production to steam engines and sawmills; in 1926 to oil drilling equipment like high-pressure slush pumps, blocks, rotaries, swivels, and drawworks. During World War II, the foundry produced guns, shells, anchor windlasses.