Archive Record

Object Name Bible
Catalog Number 1994.108.003
Collection Macmurphy Thatcher Family Collection
Description Gilt-edge, trigesimo-secundo size Holy Bible, published 1850, Cowan and Company, Edinburgh. Book cover is leather with embossed geometric ornamental designs on the front, side, and back.
It is inscribed "E. N. Smith, Chattanooga,Tenn" on the front page and "E. N. Smith" on the dedication page. A detailed newspaper notice of Elizabeth Nisbet Smith Macmurphy's death on December 21, 1859 is glued to the front book cover. A typed note indicating "Some interesting data" that Elizabeth Smith was the "first white child born in Chattanooga" is glued to the front page. There is also a business stamp of William Hays Book & Music Stores, Atlanta and Newnan, Georgia on the front page.

Elizabeth Nisbet Smith was born on December 25, 1838, and was the daughter of Doctor and Mrs. Milo Smith. According to Zella Armstrong's 1931 publication "The History of Hamilton County and Chattanooga, Tennessee, Volume 1" Elizabeth Smith was the "first white child born in Chattanooga after it was named."
Elizabeth married Andrew Mitchell Macmurphy, of Augusta, Georgia, in 1858. They had one child, Carrie Macmurphy, born in 1859. Elizabeth was an active member of the Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga, which her father was instrumental in helping to establish. She died in 1859.
Carrie Macmurphy married Robert R. Thacher, 1885, and had two children: Sara G. Thatcher (Lamb) and Bayard Mackintosh Thatcher. Carrie and Robert Thatcher are both buried in Chattanooga. Carrie worked for the Tennessee River Navigation Company, which operated between Chattanooga, Tennessee and Decatur, Alabama.
Date 1850
Dates of Creation June 1850, Edinburgh: Cowan and Company
Extent of Description 5.50" x 3.50" x 1.25"
Title The Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments: Translated out of the Original Tongues; and with the Former Translations Diligently compared and revised, by his Majesty's Special Command.
Lexicon category 8: Communication Artifact
Lexicon sub-category Documentary Artifact
Accession number 1994.108