Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Image, Digital
Catalog Number 2015.050.033.a,b
Collection Picnooga Collection
Description Two digitized envelopes from the Stanton House, a hotel that was built in 1871 by John C. Stanton, the president of the Alabama and Chattanooga Railroad. Evidently, it was the first building in Chattanooga to have a telephone in its lobby. The Stanton House and the railroad bankrupted, and the hotel was demolished in 1905. Terminal Station, which later became the Chattanooga Choo-Choo, was built on the site in 1909.

a) Stanton House logo on upper left side, with J.C. Derby listed as Manager below it. Postmarked January 19, 1888, addressed to Mrs. Asenath H. Kizi(?) in Saint Paris, Ohio and Champaign Co[unty] (which is the county St. Paris is located). Green 2 cent stamp.

b) The year is not included on the postmark. Stanton House logo and sketch on the left side with Watt & Beale, Prop's [proprietors] listed under image. Green 3 cent stamp (first issued in 1873) and addressed to New York.
Date 1873-1888
Accession number 2015.050