|Object Name||Image, Digital|
Digitized stationery is from Heller Brothers Liquors, with Maurice A. Heller and Adolph B. Heller listed at the top. They had three locations listed: Chattanooga, Tennessee; Middlesboro, Kentucky; and Jacksonville, Florida. This receipt has a list of names of people from various states, probably a list of customers.
The Heller Brothers were operating a liquor mail order business during a time when alcohol was a heavy topic in legislation. Their headquarters was in Bristol, Virginia, but they merged their outlets in Bristol and Knoxville to open in Chattanooga around 1907, near the Central Depot at 1278 Market Street near the corner of Market and King. The Tennessee legislature passed Senate Bill No. 1 in 1909, making it illegal to sell or consume alcoholic beverages within a four mile radius of any public or private school, and this ban evidently caused the Chattanooga location to close. Additionally, in 1913, Congress passed the Webb-Kenyon Act that banned interstate transmittal of liquor products into dry areas. The Heller Brothers continued to operate out of Bristol until Virginia became a dry state in 1916; and once National Prohibition set in, their business closed. More information available: Source.