|Collection||Elsworth Brown Collection|
The items consists of three pages of notes concerning forts that belonged to Elsworth Brown.
(a) is a plan for a fort sometime in the 1700s, written by James Maury. (There were several James Maurys in Virginia history, and it is uncertain which one wrote this account.) The plan goes into detail concerning the walls of the fort, but it also would include internal doors, chimneys, a storeroom, an Officer's Apartment, barracks, a main gate, a guardhouse, and flankers. James Maury originally sent this summary to Moses Fontaine on an undetermined date, and a copy resides with the Maury Papers at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. Helen Duprey Bullock of the National Trust for Historic Preservation made a copy on March 4, 1955, and presented it to Col. Claude A. Black for the records of the Fort Loudoun Association. Elsworth Brown made his own copy (a) on March 25, 1955.
(b) is a newspaper clipping which appeared in the New York Herald Tribune on Sunday, January 5, 1958. The article concerns a resolution by the Michigan Tourist Council to support a restoration of Fort Michilimackinac in Mackinac City, Michigan. The French constructed the original fort in 1671 but abandoned it in 1701 when they moved their military center to Detroit. The French reconstructed the fort in 1715, but the British took over in 1761 during the French and Indian War. Indians gained control of the fort in 1763 in the aftermath of the Pontiac Massacre, but the British regained control in 1764. The British abandoned and destroyed the fort in 1783. Preservationists rebuilt the fort in the 1950s, and the U.S. Department of the Interior designated Fort Michilimackinac a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
(c) is a copy of the original plan of Fort Pitt in western Pennsylvania, in the center of what is now Pittsburgh. Bernard Ratzer drew the original plan in 1761, and that original resides in the British Museum in London. Museum officials made a copy and presented it to the Fort Pitt Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and Elsworth Brown made his copy from that source.
|Dates of Creation||1955,1958|
|Extent of Description||(a-c) 11.00" x 8.50"|