Archive Record

Object Name Clipping, Newspaper
Catalog Number 2016.004.057.a-g
Collection Chattanooga News-Free Press Collection
Description a) Article, Chattanooga New Free-Press, dated in ink 7/17/53. "CONDUCTOR BARNES MAKES LAST BIG RUN AFTER 32 YEARS' SERVICE." Byline Tom Gallant. Photo credit Mooney. Article with photos about the retirement of Pullman conductor D. M. Barnes. Mr. Barnes lived at 3707 Fourth Ave. in Chattanooga and had worked on the "Pelican" run from New Orleans to Chattanooga. (See photo 2016.004.064)

b) Article, Chattanooga Times, stamped July 19, 1953. Photo with caption "CAR CRASHES PLATFORM." Reports that a mail car crashed through a bumper onto a platform at the end of Track 9 at the Terminal Station in Chattanooga, slightly injuring a woman, Lee Washington, standing on the platform. No photo credit.

c) Article, Chattanooga Times, stamped July 29, 1953. "PICKETS HALT RAILROAD JOB -- Dispute at Huge Switchyard Project Apparently One of Union Jurisdiction." No byline. Reports that strike was called by the Chattanooga Construction and Building Trades Council.

d) Article, Chattanooga News-Free Press, stamped July 29, 1953. "STRIKE HALTS RAIL PROJECT -- Meeting to Discuss Problem Scheduled." No byline. Meeting scheduled today to mediate issue between the building trades union and the railroad maintenance union. The strike idled 45 workers of Blount Brothers Construction. Approximately 15 railroad workers were still working.

e) Article, Chattanooga News-Free Press, stamped July 30, 1953. "TRUCE REACHED IN RAIL STRIKE." No byline. Earle Williams, president of the Chattanooga Building Trades Council, announced a truce and the 45 Blount Brothers workers returned to the job. The issue involved which union (railroad vs. building trades) was authorized to do certain parts of the job.

f) Article, Chattanooga Times, stamped July 30, 1953. "WORK RESUMED ON SWITCHYARD -- Jurisdiction Question." No byline. Covers same ground as (e).

g) Chattanooga News-Free Press, dated July 31, 1953 on back. Aerial photo of new railyard project with existing Citico Yard in foreground. Photo credit Bill Truex. (see photo 2016.004.065)
Date 1953
Dates of Creation July 17 - July 31, 1953
Extent of Description a) 5.75" x 16.25"
b) 6.00" x 6.00"
c) 2.00" x 12.50"
d) 2.00" x 8.00"
e) 2.00" x 4.75"
f) 2.00" x 11.25"
g) 7.75" x 8.25"
Accession number 2016.004