Two pieces of stationery likely designed by Ruth Simpson, produced for the Whiteside-Stearns Coal Company located in Chattanooga, TN. The address for the Whiteside-Stearns Coal Company was 534 East 11th Street. The building that once stood in that location is no longer present. The phone number listed on the stationery is 6-4108. The stationery is a white/cream color and has a train bridge logo with mounds of coal surrounding it, imprinted on the top left hand corner. The stationery reads, "Whiteside-Stearns Coal Co. Exclusive Distributors of Stearns Golden Eagle, Stearns Golden Pheasant". On the bottom left side there is a printed image of a blue heron and on the right there is an image of a robot like figure shoveling coal. Along the bottom of the page it reads, "Chattanooga's Finest Coal Yard".
The Whiteside-Stearns Coal Company was founded in 1922 by a man named Justus Stearns. Justus Stearns owned several other businesses including sawmills, coal mines, and railroads in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. Justus Stearns dies in 1933 at the age of 88, only 11 years after opening the coal company in Chattanooga.
|Extent of Description||11.00" x 8.50"|