|Collection||Crutchfield letters Collection|
A photocopy made in 1972 of an Agreement between Thomas Crutchfield, Jr., William Crutchfield, John H. Lumpkin, and the Western and Atlantic Rail Road to convert the Crutchfield House into a Hotel for housing its passengers. The original record is stored at the Hamilton County Register's Office.
This document captures the importance to the Western and Atlantic Rail Road and the strategic placement of the Crutchfield House during Chattanooga's formative years as a city. The Crutchfield House was built in 1847 by Thomas Crutchfield Sr. at the present-day northwest corner of Broad Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard. When he died in 1850, his two sons, Thomas and William inherited the house and wanted to convert the house into a hotel for passengers of the W&A Rail Road. The Western and Atlantic Rail Road ran along what is now Broad Street and one of its depots was right in front of the Crutchfield Hotel. Because of the Agreement reached in this document to make the Crutchfield House a "suitable and commodious Hotel for the accommodation of the house + the western and Atlantic Rail Road at Chattanooga." The Crutchfield House became one of the most prosperous hotels in Chattanooga at its time.
|Dates of Creation||October 28, 1853|
|Extent of Description||8.50" x 14.00"; 3 pages|
Term of Agreement between George Young Supt. West & Al Rail Road
and Thos. Crutchfield and Wm. Crutchfield + Jno H. Lumpkin
|Additional File||Click here to view the transcription.|