|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This transparency is labeled "New Post Office Georgia Ave & 9th Chattanooga, Tenn" The description is hand written in black ink over the printed date November 1967. The photographer is unknown. The building in the photograph was constructed as the New Post Office and Courthouse. The building was designed by the prominent Chattanooga architect Reuben Harrison Hunt. It was finished in 1933 and was one of the last constructions completed by Hunt before he passed away in 1937. The building was officially Renamed the Joel W. Solomon Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in 1981. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 for its demonstration of Art Deco style significant between 1925 and 1949. Hunt used a variety of stone in the design of the building. The exterior walls of the Federal Building are of White Cherokee Georgia marble over a base of old Stone Mountain granite. The carved eagles near the entrance, as well as the
steps, are also Stone Mountain granite. Dark gray St. Laurent "marble" from southern France
forms the columns in the main lobby as well as the base on every floor. The walls in the main
lobby as well as along the stairways are panels of brownish gray Saint Genevieve golden vein
"marble" from Missouri. Fossil remains of bryozoan and coral are visible throughout this stone.The 3rd and 4th floors are lined with pink Tennessee marble" from Knoxville. Large fossil
cephalopods can be seen in these polished sections. The stairs and reinforcement around each doorway are deep green serpentine, which is commercially called Verde Antique "marble" from Vermont. The floors are composed of terrazzo from Italy.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|