|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Dome Building 8th & Ga Ave Chattanooga". The description is handwritten in black ink beside the printed date October 1967. The photographer is unknown. At the center of the building the above the entrance the words "Dome Building" can be read. In the same area there is a neon sign in the shape of an arrow that reads "Card Bonding Co." In the windows of the first floor offices there are signs for "Lenak Studios", "Ace Bail Bonding", another business that looks to be a barber shop, "Allied Finance, and a Marquee sign that reads '"Arthur Murray". In the lower left of the image a delivery truck is seen with the words "Michel Florists" and the address 719 Georgia Avenue below the logo written in red on the side. According to current maps that floral business was probably located in the Flatiron Building which is directly across from the Dome building. The florist is not located in that building and may no longer exist.
The six story building pictured was built in 1892 by the design of Delemos & Cordes of New York, it is located at 736 Georgia Ave Chattanooga, TN 37402 at the corner of Georgia Avenue and 8th street. It was the tallest building in Downtown Chattanooga at the time of it's construction. It originally housed Adolph S. Och's first Newspaper company "The Chattanooga Times" Och's would eventually also own the New York Times. The official original name for the building was "The Och's Building", however many people also referred to it as "The Times Building".
When the Chattanooga Times relocated to a new building in 1947 the building was sold and renamed the "Dome Building".
The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Most recently a developer named Greg Vital purchased the Dome building for 2.5 million dollars and has spent approximately 2.5 million dollars in addition to restore to its former condition. An easement of the facade of the building was donated to the Cornerstones Historical Preservation society which enables the organization to care for preserve, and legally protect and the exterior of the building. In 2008 it was honored as a Tennessee antiquity by the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, the oldest statewide nonprofit historic preservation organization.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|