|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "(2) Chattanooga United Methodist". The description is handwritten in blue ink.The printed date on the slide is July 1970. The photographer is unknown. This photograph is the top of the building in 2012.025.071.
The building in the image was built as First Methodist Episcopal Church, also known as "The Old Stone Church". The building was Constructed between 1881-1885 at the southeast corner of Georgia Avenue and McCallie Avenue, Chattanooga, Tennessee. Most of the founders of the Church were Northerners who had come to Chattanooga during the Union Occupation of the South after the end of the civil war, but stayed because they loved the city.
the main walls of the church were constructed of Chickamauga Limestone. the pillars around the doorways were made of sandstone, The stairs were made of Oolitic Limestone from the Beck farm Quarry in North Chattanooga. Since there were still no bridges from North Chattanooga to Downtown Chattanooga at the time the church was built all of the stone was delivered by boat.
The congregation of this Church also founded the The University of Chattanooga in 1886, which would eventually merge into The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in 1969.
It was Constructed between 1881-1885 at the southeast corner of Georgia Avenue and McCallie Avenue, Chattanooga, Tennessee.The congregation merged with Centenary Methodist in 1967 to form First Centenary United Methodist Church. The stone church was demolished in 1977, but the steeple remains to present.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|