|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
A photograph of the old Miller Brothers department store main entrance on Market Street with the original logo. This photograph was probably taken to depict the buildings architectural changes in 1986.
Miller Brothers department store, at 629 Market Street (corner of 7th Street) in Chattanooga, was built in 1898, with a Victorian Romanesque style, initially with 110,000 square feet of space. It was fitted with elevators in 1904. The steel exterior was added in 1967, then removed in 1986 when Blue Cross Blue Shield purchased the building.
It was known for having Chattanooga's only "subway," which consisted of an underground shopping area that tunneled beneath Broad Street to their home store at the corner of 7th and Broad (as well as a connecting parking garage). The store boasted two snackbars and a Tea Room as well as many amenities that are not to be found in any current retail establishment. On September 17, 1987, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Circa 1986.
The Miller Bros. Co. was founded by Gustavus Hindman Miller and his younger brother F.L. Miller, Sr. in 1889, their first store was at 510 Market St. in Chattanooga. The Millers Bros. Co. was acquired by Proffitt's (which was later acquired by Belk).
|Photographer||George Baker, Chattanooga Times|
|Print size||10.00" x 8.00"|