|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
One reproduction aerial photograph of Skyway Drive-In, which was located at 5617 Brainerd Road (address was changed to 5642 Brainerd Road in 1952). This is the current (2013) location of Eastgate Mall. The drive-in operated from 1941-1959 and this photograph was taken between 1950 and 1959. It had one screen and its capacity was 400 cars. Spring Creek Road is visible in the background (near the top of the photograph).
Don Shaw built the Skyway Drive-In and assisted in the building of the other drive-ins in Chattanooga. He lived with his family at 5500 Woodlawn Drive next to the Skyway, and they had a speaker in their yard. After the storm blew down the screen in 1959, they moved to the East Brainerd area. Their land and the Skyway property were later developed as Eastgate Mall.
|Print size||13.00" x 19.00"|