|Object Name||Image, Digital|
|Collection||Roy Tuley Digital Collection|
Digitized negative, aerial image of Signal Mountain Road in the middle 1950s, which is the primary approach to Signal Mountain. Shown here, a new manufacturing plant was opened in early 1952 by North American Royalties (then Wheland/Gordon Street Inc.) to make guns and munitions for the Korean War. The building was sold to Lockheed in 1966, and aircraft parts and armament components for airplanes began being manufactured there. In 1972, Koehring-Lorain began operations there as a crane assembly plant. In 1985, Komatsu bought the idle plant for $3.5 million. Where Walmart is currently  was then a car salvage yard. Image by Roy Tuley.
This image is also featured on Deepzoomchattanooga.com.