|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "White, Stanford First Presby. Church Chattanooga 1910". The description is handwritten in blue ink. The printed date on the slide is March 1981. The photographer is unknown. This image shows the exterior of the building located at 554 McCallie Avenue Chattanooga, TN 37402. This is the corner of the building as seen from McCallie Avenue with Douglas Street to the left.
The congregation of what is now First Presbyterian Chattanooga has been meeting in the area since the 1840's. The church has been home to many pastors over the years including Reverend Thomas Hooke McCallie, father of the brothers Dr. James Park McCallie and Spencer J. McCallie founders of McCallie school. McCallie began his service in 1862. This particular building located at 554 McCallie avenue was built in 1910. The plans for this building were based on plans by the famous New York Architect Stanford White for Madison Square Presbyterian Church in Manhattan. Unfortunately White had passed away by the time the Chattanooga building was built, so the Church commissioned another local architect to adapt the plans for the builders. The building reflects the Roman architectural style. The giant Ionic columns and steps are constructed of solid Georgia marble and the sculptured and richly ornamental friezes are composed of fine Italian marble. The front steps and the wall on the east side of the sanctuary consist of Georgia granite.
After the worship facility was completed, an educational wing was added in 1926, a fellowship hall and other improvements were completed in the mid 1960's and the Medical Arts building was bought and incorporated into the Church in 1981.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|