|Object Name||Image, Digital|
|Collection||Roy Tuley Digital Collection|
Digitized negative of the Eastgate Mall complex and Brainerd Village and Road area shortly after it opened in 1962. Eastgate Mall was an open-air mall when it was built, and it also had a fountain as a centerpiece. It was developed by Independent Enterprises, founded in 1961 by Moses Lebovitz, Charles Lebovitz, and Jay Solomon. CBL & Associates was formed from those early efforts, which now  owns Hamilton Place Mall. Eastgate Mall had started declining by the time Hamilton Place opened in 1987, but has since been repurposed for businesses and a charter school. Interstate 24, built between 1956 and 1959, is visible in the background. Image taken by Roy Tuley.
This image is also featured on Deepzoomchattanooga.com.