This slide is labeled "Union Station L&N, N.C. & St.l RRs Chattanooga Tenn" The description is handwritten in black ink over the printed date, November 1967. The photographer is unknown. The image shows a 2 story brick building next to a parking lot filled with cars and trucks from the time period. There is a billboard that reads "Low ANB Rates! American National Bank and Trust Co. Beneath the billboard is a smaller sign attached to the building which reads, Union Station, L&N RR. There is a man in a grey suit about to cross the street.In 1838, the Western and Atlantic (W & A) Rail Road line named Chattanooga its northern terminal for trains departing from Atlanta. On December 1, 1849 W & A operated the first train to Chattanooga. Passengers and goods on board the train stopped at Tunnel Hill and were then carried over the ridge in wagons. Then met and resumed their train ride. In 1850, W & A completed a tunnel through Tunnel Hill. On December 11, 1845 the Tennessee General Assembly chartered the Nashville & Chattanooga Railway (N & C). In 1852 the several railway companies operating in Chattanooga began building the Union Station located at the corner of 9th and Market which is seen here. The building was called Union station since multiple rail companies united to complete its construction. Southern Railways was forced to shut down passenger train operations during the 1970's because of declining rail traffic. The windows and doors of the Union station were boarded up by 1971 and it was demolished in 1973.