|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Photographic print of a banquet at the Hotel Patten on April 1, 1908, the date the hotel opened. Located at 1 East 11th Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee.
History of the hotel:
In 1906, Chattanooga newspaperman, J.B. Pound told the city's Chamber of Commerce that in his opinion the city needed a world-class hotel to continue attracting tourist and businessmen to town. The committee agreed and placed Pound in charge of the Chattanooga Hotel Committee with the mandate to find investors to develop such a hotel. Pound contacted Zeboim C. Patten, who agreed to work with his son-in-law, John T. Lupton, to finance the erection of a grand hotel.
Opened on April 1, 1908, the twelve-story hotel promised to be the finest hotel in the south. Advertised as fireproof and costing one million dollars, the two hundred and fifty room hotel located at the corner of Eleventh and Market Streets, included a bowling alley, billiard room, barber shop and manicure parlor in its basement. Managed by the Chattanooga Hotel Company the hotel maintained its own electric plant to operate four elevators, a full service laundry facility and an ice plant.
A six-story one hundred and sixty-nine room addition enlarged the hotel in 1924 as the hotel became home to the headquarters of the Dixie Highway Association and Chattanooga's first radio television station WDEF. Hotel Patten remained one of Chattanooga's finest hotels until it sold in 1968. Eight years later the dilapidated hotel sold again and became a retirement facility. It was converted to housing from 1977-1978.
In the early 1990s, the familiar and attractive black cornice work was removed at the top of the building because of problems with pigeons. It is currently used for Section 8 housing for the elderly and disabled.
|Print size||10.50" x 13.00"|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|