|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Foundry photograph collection|
One photograph of an aerial view of the US Pipe & Foundry Company complex. Originally incorporated in 1899 as United States Cast Iron Pipe and Foundry Company, the incorporation consolidated 12 companies located in eight states. Companies in the original consolidation included Chattanooga Foundry and Pipe Company, South Pittsburgh Pipe Works, Howard-Harrison Iron Company, The Anniston Pipe Foundry, Addyston Pipe and Steel Company, Buffalo Cast Iron Pipe Company, Dennis Long Company, Lake Shore Foundry Company, McNeal Pipe and Foundry Company, National Foundry and Pipe Works, Limited, Ohio Pipe Company, and Wisconsin Steel Company. At the time of its incorporation, it is estimated that U.S. Pipe produced approximately 75% of the production capacity in the United States. Of the 14 plants that composed the original corporation, two continue in operation today under new names. These plants are U.S. Pipe's Bessemer, AL, and Burlington, NJ facilities.
David Giles built the Chattanooga Plant in 1882. This facility was the South's first pressure pipe shop to use the pit cast method. Although the plant began operating with one pit, by the time of consolidation, pipe was being produced in eight pits. Some years after it became a part of U.S. Pipe, the manufacture of pipe was discontinued and the plant converted to the production of cast iron fittings, and later added valves and hydrants.
Photograph by International Airfotos, Inc., Berry Field, Nashville, Tennessee.
|Studio||International Airfotos, Inc.|
|Print size||7.00" x 7.00"|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|