|Collection||Macmurphy Thatcher Family Collection|
a) Tinted ambrotype photograph of Elizabeth Nisbet Smith Macmurphy. Measures 3.00" width, 4.00" length. Young woman with her hair pulled back in a rolled bun. She is wearing a dark dress with a wide, white lace collar with a paisley design, white bodice, and polka dot sash at the waist. She is seated with hand clasped on her lap. She is wearing rings on her index and ring fingers. She also is wearing a cameo brooch on her bodice and large drop earrings. There is no studio or photographer's mark. "A.M. Macmurphy, Augusta, Geo" is handwritten on lined paper that is glued to the interior velvet. The image is similar to that of 1994.108.002.a
b) Protective case for tinted ambrotype of Elizabeth Nisbet Smith Macmurphy. Measures 3.62" width, 4.62" length, 0.75" deep. Embossed black leather over wood with embossed flower and leaf design on front and back. Hook and eye fasteners on right hand side of exterior. Left hand side of interior lined with embossed red velvet. "A. M. Macmurphy Augusta Geo" handwritten on lined paper and glued to the red velvet lining at the top. Decorative gold tinted edging and plain copper mat surround ambrotype. There is no studio or photographer's mark.
Elizabeth Nisbet Smith was born on December 25, 1838, and was the daughter of Doctor and Mrs. Milo Smith. According to Zella Armstrong's 1931 publication "The History of Hamilton County and Chattanooga, Tennessee, Volume 1" Elizabeth Smith was the "first white child born in Chattanooga after it was named."
Elizabeth married Andrew Mitchell Macmurphy, of Augusta, Georgia, in 1858. They had one child, Carrie Macmurphy, born in 1859. Elizabeth was an active member of the Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga, which her father was instrumental in helping to establish. She died in 1859.
Carrie Macmurphy married Robert R. Thacher, 1885, and had two children: Sara G. Thatcher (Lamb) and Bayard Mackintosh Thatcher. Carrie and Robert Thatcher are both buried in Chattanooga. Carrie worked for the Tennessee River Navigation Company, which operated between Chattanooga, Tennessee and Decatur, Alabama
|Print size||3.00" x 4.00"|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|