|Collection||Paul A. Hiener Collection|
Postcards, part of a collection of negatives related to Chattanooga area buildings.
a) Postcard image of the Dome Building on Georgia Avenue, taken around the turn of the 20th century.
b) The James Building downtown. Writing on the back from Bertha to Miss Effie in Old Mexico, sent on November 23, 1903.
c) Color image of Carnegie Library, which was built in 1904 on Georgia and 8th Street. The Public Library was moved in the 1930's and then again in 1976 to its current location. This postcard was sent on December 15th, 1907.
d) Color postcard of the Y.M.C.A on 812 Georgia Avenue. The building was dedicated on January 31, 1909. This postcard was sent from Ruth to Miss Effie Niccum in East Chattanooga. Postage date is unclear.
e) Postcard of what was the Elks "Club"'s old building near downtown Chattanooga. This postcard was sent to Effie from "B.E." on October 26, 1908.
f) Postcard with aerial view of Hamilton County Memorial Hospital, 2500 Citico Avenue.
g) Postcard with green image of the Frances Willard building on 615 Lindsey Street. The Frances Willard Home was established in the 1880's by a group of Chattanooga housewives to provide a home environment for the influx of young girls who came into the city from surrounding rural areas to work in Chattanooga's burgeoning industrial businesses. Sponsored by the Women's Christian Temperance Union, the home was named for Frances W. Willard, a former national president of the WCTU. The Home was originally housed in the Glass House on Eighth Street, and, later, on Oak Street. Architect Reuben Harrison Hunt, who designed many important Chattanooga buildings, including the Hamilton County and Federal Court Houses, Memorial Auditorium, the old First Baptist Church and others, designed the Lindsay Street structure, which was built in the mid-1920's. The Frances Willard Home operated for almost 90 years, and closed in 1976. The WCTU gave rising operational costs as the reason for the shutdown, and the building was eventually deeded to the Central Church of Christ, located at the southeast corner of Lindsay and Vine Streets. Central Church researched the possibility of using it as a home for the elderly, but many obstacles to adaptation for that purpose were encountered, and the building was purchased by a group called Green Acres of America, headed by Jack McDonald.
h) Image is identical to g). The back reads: "According to records this building was finished in July 1901 is now the Sunday School rooms of 1st Baptist Church. Our present Bldg was built in 1927 located at 615 Lindsay St". The building is also where the CHC temporarily resided from 2008-2011.
a-f) 3.50" x 5.50"
g,h) 3.50" x 6.00"