|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Aerial photograph of the intersection in between Manufacturers Road and Cherokee Boulevard. The photo's main focus is the American Lava Corporation Building in the center. The image also includes the area surrounding the American Lava Corporation Building, as well as Melrose Ice Cream Parlor and Signal Knitting Mills.
In 1902, Market Square was the home to the first American Lava plant, followed by a move to Williams Street in 1910. In March of 1936, the company purchased and moved into a former furniture warehouse. The new plant was located at the intersection of Manufacturers Road and Cherokee Boulevard near the Tennessee River as well as the rail lines. In the early 1950s, the American Lava Corporation hired around 1,500 workers in the production of ceramic insulators for electrical equipment. Later in April of 1963, it became known that a division of the company's operations were being transferred to Laurens, SC. In February of 1981 the company closed the main plant in Chattanooga. In 1983 the building housed what became known as the General Electric Ceramics Company. The building is now used by the City of Chattanooga to house the Business Development Center.
|Print size||15.00" x 19.00"|
|Dimension Details||Photo mat is slightly larger in measurement.|