|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Fountain Square Ga Ave & and 6th St. Chattanooga Tenn. 2. Provident Bldg." The description is handwritten in black ink. The description is written over the printed date which seems to be October 1968 but is obscured by the description that is written on top.The photographer is unknown. This building was called the Provident Life and Accident building when it was first built. As of 2007 it is just called the Unum Building when the company changed its name. The building was designed by Otto Eggers and Daniel Higgins of New York City, the original east wing of the building was completed in 1972. The newer west wing was added in 1976. The exterior consists almost entirely of White Cherokee Georgia marble. The retaining walls and steps are gray granite from Mount. Airy, North Carolina, while the basal trim of the building is Tidal Gray granite gneiss from Lithemia, Georgia. Tennessee River rock is used in the front walks.The lobby contains a base of dark gray St. Laurent marble from Southern France. The entrances are lined with highly fractured serpentine or dark green Monte Verde "marble" from the Italian Alps. Some of the private rooms contain Pink and Gray Georgia marble. The lobby area also has a greenish Vermarco Light Cloud marble from Vermont and terrazzo floors.
The lower left of the image shows the statue of a canon and behind the canon are two automobiles that are representative of the time period. In the right corner of the photo one can see the Fireman Fountain Statue.
In 1887, the citizens of Chattanooga wanted to honor fireman who had fallen in the line of duty. J.L. Mott Company of New York, NY (the premier source for such an item at the time) was commissioned to create the fountain. The money to build the fountain was raised by a committee. In 2009, the fountain was restored.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|