|Object Name||Image, Digital|
|Collection||Dan Alderman Digital Collection|
Digitized postcard of James Point with Signal Mountain streetcar no. 14 climbing up the mountain adjacent to the rock face. Constructed by the Chattanooga Traction Company, this would be one of the last major streetcar lines built around Chattanooga. This view has been replaced by TN Highway 127 and can be found in Signal Mountain, TN on Walden's Ridge.
The back details the origins of the name James Point. The name comes from the founder of Signal Mountain Inn, Mr. C.E. James. Additionally, the publisher of the card, Reed [Read] House Cigar Company, is credited. Postally unused.
The dates for this piece, 1913-1936, are the dates the Signal Mountain Inn operated under this name. In 1936 the Alexian Brothers purchased the property and it became a convalescent home for boys and men, and in 1979 became Alexian Village retirement facility.