Photo Record

Object Name Transparency, Slide
Catalog Number 2012.025.077
Description This slide is labeled "St Lukes Epis Church Cleveland Tenn." The description is handwritten in pencil. The printed date on the slide is July 1967. The photographer is unknown.
The building in the image is Saint Lukes Memorial Episcopal Church.
St. Luke's Memorial Episcopal Church is the second oldest church in Cleveland, Tennessee. The present building was built in 1872 by the Craigmiles Family, in honor of the their daughter, Nina, who died at just seven years old in an accident when the horse and buggy which she was in, collided with a train. The Church was constructed beside a a white marble mausoleum for Nina, which now also houses the remains of her parents John and Adelia Craigmiles and other members of the family.
The Episcopal congregation in Cleveland had gone by the name of Saint Alban's Episcopal Church before the accident. However, since Nina passed away on Saint Lukes day, October 18 1871, the new Church was named Saint Lukes Memorial Episcopal.
The church is considered one of the few Oxford Movement American Gothic churches in the world. Throughout the years the church has remained relatively unchanged except for the addition of electricity, heating, and air conditioning.
Date 1967
Print size 2.00" x 2.00"
Accession number 2012.025