|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Old Post Office Bldg Chattanooga, 1890-1909" The description is handwritten in blue ink. The printed date on the slide is 1981. The photographer is unknown. This is a view from the front of the building known as "The Old Post Office". Four cars from the time period are parked in front of the building at parking meters. Multiple window air conditioning units are visible in the image. The building pictured is located at 150 East 11th Street Chattanooga Tennessee 37402. The building was originally called Custom House, It is known presently as the Federal Courthouse and Old Post Office. This structure was completed under the supervision of Louisiana architect William A. Freret in 1893. Additions to the building were made from 1908 to 1909.
The U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee met here until that court was abolished in 1912. The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee met here and the building was used as a Post Office until 1933. TVA moved into the building in 1934. In 1949 all the original fireplaces were removed in order to replace the roof. TVA began renting the building to the U.S. Bankruptcy court of the eastern district of Tennessee in 1991.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|