|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Library; Cleveland Tenn." The description is handwritten in black ink. The description is written below the printed date March 1968. The photographer is unknown.
This image shows The Historic P.M. Craigmiles House, which presently the "Cleveland Bradley County Public Library History Branch". The structure is located at 833 Ocoee Street NE Cleveland, TN 37311, directly across from Lee University.
In the image, The decorative trim around the windows and other details are painted brown. In 2012 the details are painted white.
The house was constructed in 1866 after the Civil War for P.M. Craigmiles and his family when he relocated to Cleveland from Dalton Ga. to join his brothers in business. Throughout the years it housed three other prominent Cleveland families. Following the deaths of Mr and Mrs P. M. Craigmiles the home was passed on to their daughter, Augusta Craigmiles Osment and her husband Melmoth Osment in 1881. In 1907 it became the property of Walter Scott Milne and his family. In 1914 it was owned by John A. Steed and his wife. When Steed's wife passed away in 1922 her brothers donated the property to the City of Cleveland in honor of she and the brothers' mother Sarah Tucker Johnston.
The building housed the Cleveland Public Library from 1922 until 1987 when the main library was moved to a newer, larger building. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. The building has been used as the Cleveland Bradley County Public Library History Branch and Archives from 1987 to present time. (2012)
The library is a focal point for genealogy research, and has a storehouse of information on the Civil War, the Cherokee Nation and the families and cultures which have existed in the community during Cleveland's history.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|