|Object Name||Image, Digital|
|Collection||Matthew C. Miller Digital Collection|
Digitized photograph, stereoscopic view of three young women sitting under a tree in a cleared yard enclosed by a wooden picket fence. On the other side of the fence are about five two-story, clap board houses with covered porches and balconies. There are women standing on the balconies. There are rain barrels on the roofs of the houses and a lightning rod on one of the houses.
Stamped on back: Views of Lookout Mountain and Vicinity. Published by R.M. & J.B. Linn, Gallery "Point Lookout" Lookout Mountain, Tenn. Handwritten on the back: L. M. E. J.
Cataloguer sent the image to James Ogden, Historian, Chickamauga National Military Park, and it is his belief that the buildings are part of the big hospital constructed by the Union Army on Lookout Mountain in 1864-1865, about at the Tennessee-Georgia line on the top of the mountain. Ogden also believes that, given the number of women, young people, children, and civilians, and the lack of any clear military personnel, the picture was taken after the war after Christopher R. Robert bought the complex and opened it as the Lookout Mountain Educational Institution in 1866.
|Photographer||R.M. Linn, J.B. Linn|