|Object Name||Image, Digital|
Photographic image of USS McMinnville PCS 1401 on what appears to be the tip of Maclellan Island on the Tennessee River in Chattanooga.
McMinnville (PCS-1401) was built as an Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper, YMS-542, by South Coast Co., in Newport Beach, California on March 3, 1944. The ship was redesignated as a Patrol Craft Sweeper, PCS-1401, on June 23, 1944; and launched on July 22, 1944; and commissioned at Newport Beach February 21, 1945, with Lieutenant R. P. Gray in command.
"After shakedown training out of San Diego, PCS-1401 reported for duty with the West Coast Sound Training Squadron at San Diego 25 March 1945. During the closing months of World War II she operated off southern California training men in antisubmarine warfare sonar techniques. She had similar duty out of San Diego over the next decade, joining Service Squadron 1 in November 1954." On March 31, 1955 she left San Diego for Panama, New Orleans, and Chattanooga, Tennessee, where she decommissioned on June 1, 1955, was placed in an “in service” status, and began training naval reservists of the Chattanooga area. The ship was renamed "McMinnville" (PCS-1401) on February 15, 1956, and it continued to be used in maintaining reserve readiness until struck from the Navy list on August 1, 1962. She was sold to Marine Exploration Co., Miami, Florida on May 28, 1963.