Photo Record

Object Name Image, Digital
Catalog Number 2014.017.073
Description Photographic image of the West Side before Urban Renewal and the Golden Gateway project of the College Hill (just south of Cameron Hill) area, looking west from the river. The prominent street down the center is West 14th Street. College Hill and College Hill Courts are visible, and part of Combustion Engineering is visible on the bottom right. This photograph was taken in the midst of the Urban Renewal project - upon zooming in, foundations of demolished buildings are visible along what was West Terrace (curved street on very left); Ross Street (curved street to the right of West Terrace); and around the block of West 14th, Ross Street, and Grove Place. The block just left of center and the one in front of it in the image were not yet demolished but would be not long after this image was taken. The Newton Community Center on Grove Street and the James A. Henry Elementary School (now [2014] the Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy) on Grove Street are visible and still present. The office and plant buildings for Combustion Engineering are still present also. Written on reverse: "#1 section."
Date 1959-1960
Accession number 2014.017