|Object Name||Image, Digital|
|Collection||Roy Tuley Digital Collection|
Digitized negative, aerial of the Chattanooga municipal airport from an airplane during what appears to be an air show. In 1930 John Lovell helped establish a new Chattanooga Airport with an unpaved runway and it was named Lovell Field in his honor. In 1936, the landing area was expanded and runways paved as a part of the New Deal’s Works Progress Administration (WPA). The original terminal building was also built at that time. The airport at Lovell Field began as a New Deal project in the 1930s, and this may have been the pre-opening show and celebration in 1936. During World War II, Lovell Field served as a military training facility. Image was taken by Roy Tuley, and may have been taken while flying with Harry Porter.
The airplane flying in this image, the NC14970, was an Eastern Air Lines Douglas DC-2 plane, developed in 1934. It was a faster passenger airplane. This particular plane was impressed into military service with the Royal Australian Air Force during World War II but destroyed on August 1, 1943 from an accident in Cooktown, Australia.