|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "D'Lemos and Cordes Dome Building Chattanooga 1882". The description is handwritten in blue ink. The printed date on the slide is March 1981. The photographer is unknown. The building in the center of the photograph is what is known as the Dome building, the building in the lower right side of the photograph is the old Carnegie library building.
The six story building pictured was built in 1892 by the design of D'Lemos & Cordes of New York, it is located at 736 Georgia Ave Chattanooga, TN 37402 at the corner of Georgia Avenue and 8th street. It was the tallest building in Downtown Chattanooga at the time of it's construction. It originally housed Adolph S. Och's first Newspaper company "The Chattanooga Times" Och's would eventually also own the New York Times. The official original name for the building was "The Och's Building", however many people also referred to it as "The Times Building".
When the Chattanooga Times relocated to a new building in 1947 the building was sold and renamed the "Dome Building".
The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Most recently a developer named Greg Vital purchased the Dome building for 2.5 million dollars and has spent approximately 2.5 million dollars in addition to restore to its former condition. An easement of the facade of the building was donated to the Cornerstones Historical Preservation society which enables the organization to care for preserve, and legally protect and the exterior of the building. In 2008 it was honored as a Tennessee antiquity by the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, the oldest statewide nonprofit historic preservation organization.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|