|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Chattanooga Fire Department Collection|
Photographs of the restoration of an antique fire engine by the Chattanooga Fire Department in 1986. The steam pumper, manufactured by American Ahrens Division, was purchased May 11, 1892 and put into service at the No. 4 fire station at 209 East 8th Street. In 1906 it was named the "Garnet Andrews No. 3" engine. See also photos 2016.013.001, taken in 1914. The Ahrens pumper was the last of its kind to be used in Chattanooga, when in 1932 it was pulled out of mothballs to help fight the Southeastern Oil Fire, pumping continuously for 72 hours. Restoration began on August 7, 1986.
a) Polaroid of the pumper parked in a garage, before restoration started. Date written at bottom: Aug. 7, 1986. See also photo (p).
b-o) Photos of the pumper in a garage in various stages of disassembly, accompanied by three men. Typed labels on back give date of August 11, 1986 and the names of the men: Steve Minnick, Jerry Evans, and Roy Dodd.
p) Polaroid dated Aug. 7, 1986. See also photo (a).
q) Photo of the restored pumper parked in front of the Fire Dept. Administrative headquarters on Amnicola.
a) 3.50" x 4.25"
b-o) 5.00" x 3.50"
p) 3.50" x 4.25"
q) 7.00" x 5.00"