|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Swainey House 4th and High Sts. Chattanooga, Tenn" The description is hand written in black ink on top of the printed date October 1967. The photographer is unknown. There is a telephone booth visible in the lower right corner of the image.
transparency is a picture of the Swainey home on the southwest corner of East Fourth and High Streets, was the residence of Judge William Bentley Swainey and his wife. Judge Swainey was an attorney and the Dean of the Chattanooga College of Law. For a time it was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Francis Marion Walker. Mr. Walker attained the rank of Brigadier General in the Confederate Army and he died during the war at Atlanta. Mrs. Walker stayed in the home for a period until she moved to Rogersville, TN. The home was then used by both the Confederacy and the Union as a hospital, at different times of course. The first Swainey to live in the home was in 1887. This building is no longer standing.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|