A photograph of the American Lava Corporation building. The company was founded by Paul Kruesi in 1902, and they manufactured technical ceramics and heat resistant ceramic components. The word "lava" came from the naturally heat resistant untreated rocks they used in making those components. The company built this building at the intersection of Cherokee Boulevard and Manufacturers Road in 1936. American Lava was bought by 3M in 1953. This building is located at the corner of Manufacturers Road and Cherokee Boulevard, and now  houses the Small Business Development Center (BDC).