|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Dome Building 8th & Georgia Ave Chattanooga Tenn" The description is handwritten on top of the printed date. The year 1967 is visible but the month is obscured by the writing on top. This photograph shows the building from street view. There are at least 7 signs from the time period visible on the other buildings surrounding the structure. On the lower left hand side in front of the red brick building there is a sign for rooms for rent and a sign for laundry service. Directly in the lower center of the image on the corner of the Dome building there is a neon sign with the letters "WDXB" perhaps for a radio or television channel. In the lower right hand side of the photograph one legible sign in the shape of an arrow reads, "Costume and Tuxedo Rentals". Further back another sign reads "Bill Shores Framing". Bill Shores Framing is presently operating in Chattanooga but no longer at the same address.
The six story building pictured was built in 1892 by the design of Delomos & Cordes of New York, it is located at 736 Georgia Ave Chattanooga, TN 37402 at the corner of Georgia Avenue and 8th street. It was the tallest building in Downtown Chattanooga at the time of it's construction. It originally housed Adolph S Och's first Newspaper company "The Chattanooga Times" Och's would eventually also own the New York Times. The official original name for the building was "The Och's Building", however many people also referred to it as "The Times Building".
When the Chattanooga Times relocated to a new building in 1947 the building was sold and renamed the "Dome Building".
The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Most recently a developer named Greg Vital purchased the Dome building for 2.5 million dollars and has spent approximately 2.5 million dollars in addition to restore to its former condition. An easement of the facade of the building was donated to the Cornerstones Historical Preservation society which enables the organization to care for preserve, and legally protect and the exterior of the building. In 2008 it was honored as a Tennessee antiquity by the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, the oldest statewide nonprofit historic preservation organization.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|