|Object Name||Image, Digital|
|Collection||Roy Tuley Digital Collection|
Digitized color negative of the Standard-Coosa-Thatcher textile mill which is located at South Watkins Street and East 18th Street. "The first mill buildings were erected in 1916. At that time, Standard, Coosa and Thatcher were three separate mills located directly beside each other. Coosa and Thatcher Spinning plants processed the incoming raw cotton and eventually spun the cotton to a finished yarn - which would be transported to the Standard Processing Plant for further refining (mercerizing) and dye." (Source: DeepzoomChattanooga). The 3 companies merged into Standard-Coosa-Thatcher in 1922. The company began to decline in the 1980s but became the Standard Mercerizing and Specialty Yarn Company in 1987. As the textile industry nationwide declined, Standard-Coosa-Thatcher had several changes in ownership and eventually filed bankruptcy, and the mill closed in 2003 and the mill was later abandoned. One person who began demolishing this building went to Federal prison for 3 years because he threw asbestos out the windows, buried it, and lied about it on EPA forms. In 2014, a developer proposed making the factory into apartments geared towards artists. In February 2015, the remaining buildings of the Standard-Coosa-Thatcher Mills were added to National Register of Historic Places. Image was likely taken between 1956-1960. One small portion of Interstate 24 is visible in the upper right corner. Image taken by Roy Tuley.
This image is also featured on Deepzoomchattanooga.com.