|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Park plaza Building Chattanooga" The description is handwritten in blue ink. The printed date is March 1981. The photographer is unknown.
This is a photograph of what was originally the Southern Express Railway administrative office building, which was constructed in 1894. It is located at 1012 Market Street Chattanooga Tennessee. The building was known as the Southern Express Company Building for many years. It was converted to a hotel around 1922 called Hotel Patten Annex and often called Hotel Annex by locals. It became the Plaza Hotel in 1931. A marble face was added to the building in the 1950's and was converted to offices in the 1977. It is presently (2012) housing the Pickle Barrel restaurant, the building’s triangular shape is accentuated by traditional features of Victorian commercial architecture, such as cast iron columns, stone lintels, decorative brickwork and a bracketed and projecting cornice.
Behind the building and to the left the American National Bank and Loveman's Department store are visible. Loveman's started as a dry goods store in 1886. The original building burned down in 1890. It was rebuilt and thrived until 1986 when it was purchased by Proffitts just five years after this picture was taken. In 2012 the first National Bank building is still standing but houses Suntrust Bank instead. To the right the dome buildings and other buildings that still stand in Chattanooga are visible.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|