|Object Name||Image, Digital|
Photographic image of Cargill Inc., at 501 Manufacturers Road on the North Shore, which was listed as a "grain elevator" in the 1959 city directory. "In the 1950s, Cargill emerged as a major international merchandiser and processor of agricultural and other commodities. Building on strengths, Cargill began global initiatives with grain-and-oilseed exports and the development of a transportation and grain elevator system that enabled it to respond to worldwide demand for basic agricultural products." W.M. Berger was the branch manager in 1959. Source:Cargill.com.
a) Stamped: "Aerial Photographic Service, Lovell Field, Chattanooga, Tennessee." Written: "5-5-56." A pier for the construction of the Olgiati Bridge is being built in the background.
b) Stamped: "Aerial Photographic Service, Lovell Field, Chattanooga, Tennessee." Written: "5-5-56." Ross's Landing visible across the river in b).