|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Window detail, Main floor Old Post Office Chattanooga 1890-1909.
The building pictured is located at 150 East 11th Street Chattanooga Tennessee 37402. The building was originally called Custom House, It is known presently as the Federal Courthouse and Old Post Office. This structure was completed under the supervision of Louisiana architect William A. Freret in 1893. Additions to the building were made from 1908 to 1909.
The U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee met here until that court was abolished in 1912. The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee met here and the building was used as a Post Office until 1933. TVA moved into the building in 1934. In 1949 all the original fireplaces were removed in order to replace the roof. TVA began leasing the building to the U.S. Bankruptcy court of the eastern district of Tennessee in 1991.
This is a detailed view of the entrance on the main floor. An easement of the facade of this building was donated to Cornerstones Historical Preservation. The donation enables the organization to legally maintain and protect the exterior of the building.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|