|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled " Union Station (L&N, NC& ST. L RWY) Chattanooga, Tenn. The description is handwritten in black ink on top of the printed date, November 1967. The photographer is unknown. This image is an aerial view of the station. The sign on the top of the building reads "Your New Automobile Delivered Factory Fresh! L&N". The station occupied the 1400 block of Market Street. In the background of the photograph there is a "Gulf Gas Station, and a Bus Station. Further back is a U.S. Royal Tire shop, and many advertising bill boards on top of and above the downtown buildings, including an ad for George Dickel Whiskey.
In 1838, the Western and Atlantic (W & A) Rail Road line named Chattanooga its northern terminal for trains departing from Atlanta. On December 1, 1849 W & A operated the first train to Chattanooga. Passengers and goods on board the train stopped at Tunnel Hill and were then carried over the ridge in wagons. Then met and resumed their train ride. In 1850 W & A completed a tunnel through Tunnel Hill. On December 11, 1845 the Tennessee General Assembly chartered the Nashville & Chattanooga Railway (N & C). In 1852 the several railway companies operating in Chattanooga began building the Union Station located at the corner of 9th and Market which is seen here. The building was called Union station since multiple rail companies united to complete its construction. Southern Railways was forced to shut down passenger train operations during the 1970's because of declining rail traffic. The windows and doors of the Union station were boarded up by 1971 and it was demolished in 1973.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|