|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "St. Elmo Presby. Church Chattanooga. 1887". The description is handwritten in blue ink. The printed date is March 1981. The photographer is unknown.
This structure is located at 4400 Saint Elmo Avenue in Chattanooga Tennessee. The Church was organized in 1889 and still meets currently. A. M. Johnson founded Saint Elmo by creating a trolley system and subdividing his family's lands. When Johnson was planning the city he attracted churches by always giving away the land for churches. Saint Elmo Presbyterian is actually the oldest Presbyterian Church building in Chattanooga. There are older church congregations but many other churches relocated over the years while Saint Elmo Presbyterian has remained in the same place.
Like most churches in Saint Elmo, this church was started as a mission church of a Downtown Chattanooga branch. in this case the branch was First Presbyterian of Chattanooga. In 1892 Reverend Paul F. Brown who was affiliated with First Presbyterian of Chattanooga began to travel to Saint Elmo to preach early Sunday mornings then would head to Lookout mountain to preach by the afternoon.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|