Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Print, Photographic
Catalog Number 2011.004.001
Description A photograph of the Miller Brothers Company entrance--building with Miller's sign on the front and street. The Miller Brothers department store, at 629 Market Street (corner of 7th Street) in Chattanooga, was built in 1898, with a Victorian Romanesque style, initially with 110,000 square feet of space. It was fitted with elevators in 1904. The steel exterior was added in 1967, then removed in 1986 when Blue Cross Blue Shield purchased the building. Circa 1972.
It was known for having Chattanooga's only "subway," which consisted of an underground shopping area that tunneled beneath Broad Street to their home store at the corner of 7th and Broad (as well as a connecting parking garage). The store boasted two snackbars and a Tea Room as well as many amenities that are not to be found in any current retail establishment. On September 17, 1987, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Miller Bros. Co. was founded by Gustavus Hindman Miller and his younger brother F.L. Miller, Sr. in 1889, their first store was at 510 Market St. in Chattanooga. The Millers Bros. Co. was acquired by Proffitt's (which was later acquired by Belk).
Date 1972 circa
Photographer Laura Walker, Chattanooga News-Free Press
Print size 5.00" x 7.00"
Accession number 2011.004