|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This slide is labeled "Brabson House Gallery Chattanooga." The description is handwritten in blue ink. The printed date is March 1981.
The house in the image is known as the Brabson House.It is located at 407 East 5th Street in Chattanooga. The original home at that address was built in 1857 by Reese Bowen Brabson (1817-1863) who was an early citizen of Chattanooga. Brabson was born on a family plantation near Sevierville, Tennessee. He studied law in Dandridge Tennessee and graduated from Maryville College. He married Sarah Maria Keith of McMinnville Tennessee in 1844. The couple moved to Chattanooga in 1845 were Brabson partnered in Law with James Whiteside. He became involved in politics as a member of the Whig party. He was elected in Hamilton county to the United States House of Representatives in 1859 and served there until 1861.
Though Brabson was a slave holder he was a supporter of the Federal government, and refused to fight for either side during the war. In the summer of 1863 Brabson contracted Typhoid. On August 16th 1863 Brabson passed away in his home one month shy of his 46th birthday.
General Braxton Bragg used the home as his headquarters during the Civil War. The home was used as a hospital for Union soldiers at the end of the Civil War and again as a hospital in 1878 during the Yellow Fever outbreak in 1878, The house burned down in 1881. It was subsequently rebuilt and remodeled during the early 1880's. D.B. Loveman, one of the founders of Loveman's Department stores lived in the house by 1886. The columns visible in the photograph were added in the 1930's. It was converted to the Dr. Cecil E. Newell clinic in 1942. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1973. It was at one time a restaurant and now houses various office buildings.
|Print size||2.00" x 2.00"|