|Object Name||Pattern, Casting|
This wooden red and black painted foundry mold is from the Ross-Meehan Foundry, established in 1889. On part of the mold it reads S-637A.
The Ross-Meehan Foundry was opened in 1889 by a confederate veteran and it produced a variety of metals products. In 1918 a man by the name of Frank Robbins came to Chattanooga to get a job for the foundry. In 1933 Robbins became the president of the company, which is also the era of the Great Depression. He managed to save the company in the 1930's by shipping metal to help build an oil refinery plant in Ufa in the Russian Ural Mountains. By the time the United States entered WWII, contributions from Ross-Meehan were huge. The foundry made castings for Sherman tanks, 90 mm artillery pieces and other armaments. A news clipping from 1942 announced that Ross-Meehan had won the Army-Navy "E" (from Dwight Eisenhower) Award for Excellence in War Production. The factory hired both white and black employees, Robbin's motto was "get the job done'. There was a variety of jobs available that ranged from grinders to truck drivers. The company had great heath benefits for its employees. Robbins retired in 1957. The company prospered well into the 1970's but business declined in the 1980's due to foreign competition. In 1986, the company closed and it will live on with the reputation of being Chattanooga's oldest and best-known manufacturing enterprise. The building has now become the First Tennessee Pavilion after the old Ross-Meehan Foundry was renovated into an open-air pavilion. It is next to Finley Stadium, the stadium for the University of Tennessee Chattanooga's football team.
|Dimensions||H-5.25 Dia-20.38 inches|