|Object Name||Pattern, Casting|
This red painted wooden mold stamped with COMB ENGR PATT 1H 18 77. This mold is from Combustion Engineering based on the stamp.
Combustion Engineering manufactured boilers and accessories, nuclear power equipment, and storage & pneumatic tanks. It came to Chattanooga in 1925 under the name Hedges-Walsh-Weidner and was named that until 1938, buying two boiler companies to help jumpstart its boiler production. They had already in the late 1920s begun welding and testing boiler plate material coupons in Chattanooga. A program to hydrostatically test welded boiler drum vessels on an experimental basis was started. Combustion Engineering was heavily prevalent in Chattanooga, especially during WWII, as it produced much iron and steel, had the largest coal press in the world, and was one of two of the manufacturers of pressure vessels for shops in the country. In 1962, Combustion acquired the large plant and twenty-acre tract of the W.S. Dickey Clay Manufacturing Plant (which was at the corner of 12th and Elm Street facing the Tennessee River). Combustion also purchased acreage from the Vance Iron and Steel Company. The company reached its peak of employees in 1976, employing over 5,700 people.
|Dimensions||H-10 Dia-15.25 inches|